shabby blog

Friday, January 1, 2010

My Sister's Keeper: A Disappointing ending



I found My Sister's Keeper quite a disappointment. But then again in my opinion most movie versions of great novels are disappointments, with the exception of the Lord of the Rings( and that by a slight pass).

I really hated the fact that they changed the ending. It changed the whole dynamic of the story and therefore the anti-climax was practically distilled tap water in a cup. I mean( spoiler alert for those of you who haven't watched it) Anna was SUPPOSED to die at the end to tie off the story with a satisfactory twist. The bittersweetness was lacking it's full force.

And it kind of seemed like the director made Kate sleep with Taylor in keeping with the changed ending. " If the poor girl's gonna die, might as well let her live life to the fullest and that means sleeping with a cancerous guy". In the book Kate just shared a kiss with Taylor, she didn't go the whole way.

Alec Baldwin as the lawyer totally ruined my idea of Campbell Alexander. He's supposed to be this long suffering character who makes allowance for his weakness by being better than everyone else at what he does. Instead I cannot get the image of him as the fat, gold digging toad from Cat in the Hat out of my mind. In other words, he didn't fit the role of CA.

Abigail Breslin was the only one whose performance I praised. She totally fit the role of Anna. Innocent and lost yet strong and intelligent and fired up with a fierce love for her sister.
Sofia Vassilieva played Kate pretty well too. Her face just milks pity from the audience without any effort. And I think Joan Cusack would have been better suited to play Sara Fitzgerald than Cameron Di because she has this soft motherly aura with the right mix of the protective lioness about her- which I think Cameron lacked and made her look at best like a frustrated close friend.

No comments:

Followers